Graz photographer, Thomas Maier, looks to take “unusual” and photos of Vienna that make his audience look twice…before they’re captured in a stare.
Check out 12 of his beautiful analogue double-exposure photographs of Vienna below:
1. Describe your style in 9 words, or less.
I am doing analogue photography, mostly double exposures.
2. Name three of your favourite locations to shoot?
Vienna, Graz, Venice, and Grado.
3. Tell us about your art.
I try to combine two locations in one picture. My focus is to make unusual photos so that the audience has to think about the picture longer. I take one photo and keep it in my mind, then I try to find another place to shoot and take another photo on the same negative. I play with this technique in nature too, and sometimes I change the lens for the second photo and take the second photo out of focus, which allows me to get more depth on the double exposure.
4. Tell us about your favourite moment when creating your photos?
It’s always magic to see the photos the first time, after I get them from the photo lab.
5. Did Instagram change how you see the world?
Yes, somehow as it’s a great platform to post and share my photos.
6. What’s your favourite place in Vienna?
The first district, and the nature around Vienna.
7. Is there any music that inspires you in your work?
Yes, David Bowie
8. Anything else you’d like to add?
I just published my photography book ‘Wien Vienna’ just contact me here for inquiries.